As a female business owner and entrepreneur, Fran Craig has learned many key lessons during her years working in the professional services and software industries.
- A key recommendation for small business owners is to “always keep over 50% of the business in your control.”
- Fran also recommends not being too quick to take on a salaried employee as this can result in underutilization which is not good for any industry, but is specifically unacceptable in professional services.
- Other tips for business owners would be to recognize that sales are the most important aspect of the company and in order to support your sales, always network and maintain your contacts.
- Furthermore Fran endorses eliminating performance reviews as they are not a productive use of time, instead Unanet utilizes people development interviews for goal setting.
- An additional few tips would be to encourage collaboration, innovation, and everyone speaking up in meetings amongst your employees.
- A last tip Fran would suggest to entrepreneurs and business owners is to develop several alternatives to problems, not just one, so you always have a plan even if something goes wrong.
To read more about Fran and her tricks of the professional services trade, visit this recently published article by The Washington Post, here.